Licensing Information

ATTENTION: The Idaho Bureau Of Occupational Licenses recently made changes to how they administer their water and wastewater exams. To view these changes and schedule an exam, please visit the IBOL website.

Frequently Asked Questions

Where can I find the laws and rules for state licensed operators?

What type of education and experience do I need to become a licensed operator?

The experience required varies from license to license. Contact Adrianna Hummer, for specifics on what you will need. The license exam applications also show the experience requirements.

When are the Drinking Water and Wastewater Operator exam dates?

Where can I get an exam application?

What do I need to study to become a Drinking Water or Wastewater Operator?

Attend any and all training sessions relevant to the profession. Visit our library for practice exams and study material.

What do I need for my very small operator license?

Distribution drinking water: Combined total of 100 hours which include 88 hours of acceptable OIT experience at a water system & approved 6 hour water treatment or chlorination course & approved 6 hour water distribution course.

Wastewater collection or treatment: Combined total of 112 hours which include 50 hours of acceptable OIT experience at a wastewater treatment system & 50 hours of acceptable OIT experience at a wastewater collection system & approved 6 hour pumps & motors course & approved 6 hour lagoon operation and maintenance course or approved 6 hour large soil absorption system course.

Here are a couple links to help you find water and wastewater training material:

If you are not an AWWA member and would like to order books please call Adrianna at (208) 392-3576

// Paste your Google Analytics code from Step 4 here