Wastewater Utilities Operator | City of Emmett Public Works Department
- Performs a variety of skilled and semi-skilled technical and maintenance work in the operation, maintenance and repair of the wastewater treatment facilities and sewer collection systems.
- Preform 24 on call duties based on a rotating schedule.
- Drives and operators sewer jetting truck to maintain the City of Emmett Public Works collection system.
- Inspects and maintains collection system lift stations.
- Monitors control panels and adjust valves and gates manually or by remote control.
- Observes variations in operating conditions and interprets meter and gauge readings and tests results.
- Starts and stops pumps, engines, and generators.
- Maintains, operates, repairs, and replaces equipment as necessary.
- Maintains log of operations and records meter and gauge readings.
- Collects samples and identifies concentrations of chemical, physical or biological characteristics of wastewater as required in accordance with local, state, and federal requirements.
- Interpret test results and maintain bench sheets.
- Performs on-call duties with the ability to work flexible schedules.
- Other duties as assigned or apparent.
Essential Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Must have the ability to actively listen to others for understanding of their needs and situations:
- Ability to speak and write English clearly.
- Must have the ability to understand and carry out written and oral instructions.
- Must be able to read and understand laboratory tests conducted in the wastewater treatment utilities.
- Must be able to assess problems and situations, able to anticipate system needs and evaluate alternatives.
- Must be able to effectively interpret the policies and objectives of the department.
- Must be consistent in dealing with people.
- Must be sensitive to others problems and concerns without direct involvement, must exclude personal biases from work performance; must have the ability to accept criticism and/or discipline.
- Must use tact and diplomacy.
- Must strive to promote a cooperative atmosphere in the department; must have a positive attitude.
- Must be able to maintain cooperative working relationships with all employees, various organizations and the public.
- Must have commitment to the organization.
- Willingness to take initiative; dependability; maturity in relationships with others and self-confidence.
- Must represent the organization to other agencies staff and citizens with a courteous, helpful, accurate and business-like attitude in all telephone and personal contact.
- Must have the ability to work safely.
- Must have a willingness to become a well-rounded employee for the city of Emmett.
Quality of Work:
- Must be able to produce quality, accurate work.
- Must be able to detect and correct errors.
- Must be able to utilize work time properly and productively.
- General knowledge and training in biology, environmental science, chemistry, or a closely related field.
- Must have skill in the operation of a variety of lab equipment, generators, pumps, gauges, and other common tools.
- Must have basic computer skills and be able to operate the City’s SCADA system.
- Must have the ability to perform process control calculations.
- Must have the ability to read and discern visual images on a variety of media.
- Must be able to use various utility vehicles and equipment, common hand and power tools, wrenches, detection devices, mobile radio, phone, calculator, facilities process equipment, and a variety of lab equipment.
- Must be able to lift and carry 50 pounds.
Desirable Training and Experience But Not Required
- Class I Wastewater Operator License
- Class I Collection System Operator License
- Class B Driver’s License with CDL Endorsement
- Apply through the IdahoWorks (Idaho Department of Labor) website: https://idahoworks.gov/
- Must have Job Seeker account with IdahoWorks to apply (free and simple to create).
- Do not contact City of Emmett Public Works Department in person.